Day 14 and 15 - a Dash across Texas to Alamogordo, Alamogordo to Longmont CO

Day 14 - Thursday, March 14th - Fredericksburg, TX to Alamogordo, NM A blast down I-10, a lot of Texas Puckerbrush!

I left my motel in Fredericksburg just after 0700, the sun was just coming over the yardarm, it was a cool 52 with a little breeze. As I ran out US 290 towards I-10 I was worried about deer and other ungulates jumping out in front of me. There are quite a few dead animals along the road and a healthy colony of Buzzards that keep the carcasses picked clean. I saw one dead Hog, damn glad someone else hit that baby! JSNS

The temperature never got above 58F all day, I pulled into my friends in Alamogordo about 1430 after a 7 hour 577-mile run, thank God for Cruise Control!

Thursday's route:


After loading Freya, my friend Chuck and I went to a nice little Mexican place for a good supper, I had Pork Chops Azteca (Two thick Chops Marinated in a red chili marinade, Grilled and then dressed with Red Chili. That and a couple of beers made for an early bed, sleep was interrupted when I found myself on the floor at 0100, my faithful $7 Wal-Mart twin air bed had sprung a slow leak (not bad for over 10,000 miles stuffed into a saddlebag. I reinflated it and was good till 0600.





Day 15 - Friday March 15th, On the road this morning at 0730 after coffee in the clubhouse with Chuck and the other old geezers!
North on US 54 out of Alamogordo, across I-40 then West on NM 219 to I-25. Approaching I-25 from the East on NM219 at Las Vegas NM I was greeted by this

The Southern Rockies were covered in fresh "Bomb Cyclone" snow in the distance.

A brief detour to return the emergency helmet I bought from my friend in Pueblo West.
His new store, https://www.strictly-powersports.com is fabulous, certainly one of the top ten in the country!

a 50's era Mobil Oil Gas Station Inside - Restored to Perfection!


Then back on the road just in time to hit Commute traffic in Colorado Springs and all the way to Denver. I jumped on the E470 toll road to skirt Denver Rush Hour and had fleeting visions of making it home about midnight. I needed food, having subsisted on a few almonds and beef jerky since leaving Alamogordo, Jumped off the slab and grabbed a burger and chocolate milkshake. As I sat there eating I realized that I needed to quit for the night and finish the trip home tomorrow so I sit in the Thornton CO Econolodge typing this missive.
Today's route:


Home tomorrow and a Recap once I get the driveway shoveled!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Ramble - Days One through Three - Spearfish to Terlingua TX

Day 6 - Vaya con dios Kip! Laredo to Aransas Pass via Brownsville and S. Padre Island

Day 15 -It's a wrap! And a little Recap of my 2019 March Ramble